Wanted to thank the SSRSB, Breakfast for Learning, Nourish Nova Scotia (provincial funds) and Balcome Resources Incorporated (BMI BRidgewater) for supporting the breakfast program at NQCS.
Also a VERY special thank you to our local volunteers who make sure our students are getting breakfast each morning.
Why have a breakfast program? See below:
- 1 million Canadian children – that’s 1 in 6 – face hunger every year.
- Hunger has a huge impact on a child’s ability to learn and function. It prevents them from reaching their full potential in the classroom, and in life.
- Children who go to school hungry risk many lifelong consequences including less developed literacy and numeracy skills and poor health due to a lack of good nutrition.
- This can impact long-term physical and mental health and socio-economic outcomes.
- Nutrition programs improve learning.
- Research has shown that when children participate in a nutrition program their attendance, behaviour, attitude and mood improves and comprehension increases.
- See more at: http://www.breakfastforlearning.ca/how-to-he…/child-hunger/…